Newbie Question

Hello all. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and all the interference with my PM is getting on my nerves. It seems like everything in the house makes this thing go crazy. The taste of metal is another thing. I have that a lot. I had my post op check and they gave me the phone device. We set that on top of the fridge and it like turned the darn thing into a big magnet. Our microwave went out. We moved it to another room and the microwave came back on. My chest hurt and my hr was messed up for several hours. What's the deal with all this? I was told that I could be one of those people that is just hypersensitive to anything. Not to sound stupid but does that last forever or will it go away in time?

Thanks,

Lyn


7 Comments

Microwave

by harrisonb - 2008-09-26 10:09:09

It might depend on what type of microwave you have. My PM does not go off around my microwave becuase it is a nwere microwave. If you have a really old microwave, like pre-1990's I think, it is not good to be around them with your PM. Most likely an older microwave like that would set your PM off. If you have a newer microwave and it is setting your PM off, you should contact your doctor.

I hope....

by ladyofmercy - 2008-09-27 06:09:35

No new meds. Just increased my Lopressor but that still needs to be increased. HR when standing is still around 120's or higher.
They told me the metal taste was from magnets because it was so strong when they put the magnet on my PM at my check. Makes me wonder what all has magnets in it. We do however, have an over abundant supply of electronic devices in our home and a lot of wireless equipment. Could that have anything to do with it?
I also have one question for the ladies who are going through menopause, if someone wouldn't mind answering. I have been in full menopause for almost 2 years now and I am taking Premarin 1.25 mg a day. My question is this. Since the PM has been in my Hot Flashes are like 100 times worse. Is that from the PM or what? No one seems to be able to answer that question.

Thanks,

Lyn


It gets better...

by chip - 2008-09-27 12:09:01

ou are in a period of adjustment and we have all been there!

It WILL get better and soon when you’re feeling better and back to your “old self” again you’ll be so glad you have that pacer!

Don’t be afraid to discuss your anxieties with your doctor because he/she can provide help with any apprehensions you’re experiencing.

But like I said your feelings are normal and THINGS WILL GET BETTER – trust me.

Good luck and may God bless.

what comes to mind

by jessie - 2008-09-28 05:09:22

i noticed after my p.m. that my hydration level was low and i needed water more. i drink when i feel thirsty. it is just a thought but i noticed after the p.m. i would break out in a cold sweat like menopause. anyone else have thoughts similar when they think back? jessie

pace alert

by kyrunner - 2008-11-09 10:11:36

I bought a device called pace alert. It is designed to detect electrical, magnetic, and RF/microwave fields. The alarmsthresholds are pre-set based on manufacturer's safety recommendations. I assume that each PM might react a little differently but it is some place to start since nobody can tell you for sure what a safe range is. I have tried around my house and it picks up on the things that I thought would be a hazard. I was told not to worry about the microwave but it found out that mine is safe past about 1 and 1/2 feet. It is only 5 years old.
You can find them on Amazon.com, the Osun Technology company sells them new through that website. You can also check them out at www.osuntech.com

what comes to mind

by RaggedyKat - 2008-12-09 12:12:18

Jessie - I had the same thing happen to me - and that was just a week ago. I kept taking my temp. because I was sweating but at the same time had chills. Never had a temperature. I had to get up in the middle of the night to get something to drink. It is week two and I am still getting the chills a little but the feeling of being thirsty seems to have gone away.
RaggedyKat

It's okay...

by cease_not - 2009-02-10 08:02:19

When you first receive a PM, it's always a little uncomfortable, at least for me. I really feel you pan just now recieving your first PM. I've always had one, so I didn't have an awkward adjustment period. That must suck.As far as the microwave is concerned, I've ha a PM since 1987 and have only had an issue with microwave interference once.

You know you're wired when...

You name your daughter “Synchronicity”.

Member Quotes

I am an avid scuba diver.