Should I get a pacemaker
I recently saw my doctor and through the ECG 12 lead test he said I have trifascicular block. He said I am a candidate because two of my electrical system are blocked, The third one is open but it could block anytime or never block. If the third one started to become blocked I would possibly become dizzy or faint the first time . If I was very unlucky and there was a complete blockage which occurs rarely my heart could stop or die. I am 64 very active by hiking,biking, and kayaking. I also do alot of landscaping around my propety. I still want to do all these things with the Pacemaker . At this time i have no symptoms and feel very healthy. My question is to this group should I get one or wait till I have some symptoms like fainting. Looking forward to your opinion. Thanks. WHOTHAT
"two of my electrical system are blocked"
by Persephone - 2023-02-08 20:01:19
Hi Whothat - in addition to the responses from others, I will add that my heart block advanced very rapidly. I was watching it from the sidelines in slo-mo because I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my brain. Just my experience. Giving thanks to my PM right now since it has kept me vertical and above ground. Best wishes to you.
by doublehorn48 - 2023-02-08 20:27:31
From what you say if you were driving a car you could pass out. If you want to keep doing all the things you are doing now you should get a pacemaker. There are a lot of us with pacemakers and we lead very active lives. I can and do anything I want to do physically. As the cartoon said, "time's a wasting".
by AgentX86 - 2023-02-08 22:03:25
A trifascicular block is normally called a complete heart block or a third-degree heart block.
As others have said, this is serious stuff. You're walking on a bomb and for no reason. The fix is straight forward and has helped millions of people. Don't become one of the other statistics.
by PacedNRunning - 2023-02-09 01:34:25
I'm going to bet you'll have ample warning if symptoms get worse. Did the doctor think so? Mine did with my 2nd degree block. I was ok to wait and he felt my symptoms would get worse as it progressed. I didn't really have symptoms either. I just felt lots of palpitations in my heart while running. If it were me, I would wait if my doctor felt I could wait. I eventually got a PM. It progressed a year after implant. So I could have waited a year. Oh well
You would appear to have bifascicular block not trifascicular block
by Gemita - 2023-02-09 01:47:34
May I ask why you sought help from your doctor in the first instance and why your doctor requested an ECG? Were you having any symptoms at the time by chance, since you clearly state you are completely symptom free and feeling very healthy?
Your statement that your doctor said you have trifascicular block would appear to be misleading, since you state that one of your two left fascicles is still open? A trifascicular block indicates there are signal problems with the right bundle branch and both of the left fascicles that make up the left bundle branch. This is also known as a complete heart block. When blockages occur in the right bundle branch and just one of the two left fascicles, this is known as a bifascicular block.
I attach a link so that you can read for yourself the degree of block you "appear" to have?
As to what to do about this in the absence of any known structural heart disease or symptoms like syncope, is very difficult to say. In the UK my doctors always wanted to see clear evidence of a problem before they were prepared to treat my electrical disturbances, to make sure that treatment would help, and that the disturbance present was not being caused by a potentially treatable condition? If you do not have any symptoms, do not have structural heart disease and have never had syncope, it is difficult to know how best to advise you based on a brief ECG report alone.
Further investigation and longer term monitoring might be a good idea to assess whether a pacemaker is really needed at this time and to confirm the findings of your ECG. A one off print out on its own, in my experience as a patient, may not always give an accurate picture of our current health status. If however, your doctors have already carried out other tests and have concluded you are at considerable risk from your condition, then you should follow their expert advice, or seek a second opinion if you have any doubt.
I hope you come to the right decision and that you remain safe.
by Tracey_E - 2023-02-09 11:57:50
When you are passing out is too late. You want to prevent that. You'll be able to do everything you do now with a pacer, but probably with more energy. It's an easy fix to a problem that is not going to go away, it's only going to get worse.
You know you're wired when...
The dogs invisible fence prevents you from leaving the backyard.
We are ALIVE! How wonderful is modern medicine.
by new to pace.... - 2023-02-08 19:42:26
Why wait. You can do everything you like with a pacemaker. It has not stopped me.As you read though other people's post you will find that they are quite able.
new to pace