About to get an ICD
Hey all, I was diagnosed with VT about a month ago, and my EP is going to do an EP study and, if I'm a good candidate, an ICD implant all the same day. It is AMAZING to find a community like this!
1. Anyone else here have both the study and implant done at the same time?
2. I am VERY active as a formerly competitive cyclist, though now just recreational (cardiologist-recommendation to not push it as hard as you have to when competitive). I am also an avid multi-day backpacker. What brought me here was a "hmm, I wonder..." moment about wearing a 25-35 pound backpack, and how the strap may interact with the ICD. Anyone else out there with experience on that?
3. I've read about sub-pec implants, and that sounds intriguing. I am a thin endurance athlete with very low body fat, so a big bulge, especially one that could move around, doesn't excite me. Any recommendations?
4. If a sub-pec implant happens, it sounds like a replacement can be challenging for another EP. Any experience there?
5. As with many active and/or competitive cyclists, I have had a collarbone-fracture repaired with a titanium strap that was bolted to my left clavicle. Anyone else out there with this? Wonder if it affects the how the ICD gets implanted. I'd doubt it, but it's worth asking.
5. On the topic of replacements, how long do these things last? I've heard 3-7 years, and wonder if that's partially due to how active they are, and how quickly the battery gets drained.
Thank you all, and I'll report back after my procedure (scheduled for June 16th, 2022).