My saga continues
First, I should say that I continue to feel very well. I still walk almost every day, I'm able to do some minor home improvements, and I rest when I need to. Doctor has said a-fib is only evident a tiny percentage of the time.
Somehow I still think some tweaking couldn't hurt, and this time I've set my sights on meds. Funny how, when we are feeling well, we think, Do I really need medication? The fact is, taking Tikosyn (dofetilide) is just a major inconvenience. I have to make certain I take it the same time every day, missed doses are bad news, and it is sometimes hard to get. I have asked repeatedly if I can stop taking it, especially as I now take Metoprolol, but it seems like my cardiologist figures, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It does come down to my choice in the end though, so I'm asking: Is there good reason I'd need to take both Tikosyn AND Metoprolol (don't they kind of do the same thing?). Has anyone been on this kind of strong antiarrhythmic & then stopped? If so, any major complications? Would I need special attention around stopping (like the 4 days in hosital when I started--that would certainly be a drawback!)
I know that the final word will be,that I need to talk to my doctor about this, but if I do decide to tell him that I want to stop, I'd like to feel confident in my decision. Thanks for any comments & opinions.