I'd like to hear from anyone with an ICD who has received a strong shock. First-hand experience only please. I am scheduled to have one of these devices implanted in the next week, and I want to know what a strong shock feels like. I have heard it's like a horse kick to the chest or being hit with a baseball bat. I really don't want to worry about this happening while I'm driving or doing other activities. Is the shock really that strong? It sounds painful, and it's hard to believe such a small device/battery can deliver such a shock - similar to paddles used for cardioversion. Any and all responses to this message would be greatly appreciated.
You know you're wired when...
You have a $50,000 chest.
Your anxiety is normal. It takes some of us a little time to adjust to the new friend. As much as they love you, family and friends without a device just cannot understand the adjustment we go through. That is why this site is so valuable.