Puts Things in Perspective !
I played in a golf tournament today in a group of 4 . The names were drawn out of a hat . I was surprised to find out, in the clubhouse afterwards, that 3 of the 4 in my group had pacemakers :-
- All 3 had Medtronics ( the local rep must be good ! )
- Two had Sick Sinus Syndrome, the third had AV block.
- None , apart from me ,had heard of the PM club, none were particularly interested.
- None had a-fib, atrial flutter, PVC's, SVT's or any other type of arrythmia .
- None were on anti-arrythmic drugs or blood-thinners
- None had other unrelated cardiac issues
- None wore any kind of ID bracelet, jewellry etc warning people about their pacemakers
- None appeared to find the whole process of acquiring a PM particularly traumatic.
It was ironic that the 4th player., the one without the pacemaker, played the worst golf. There must be a moral there !
Today really brought home to me that most people who mail the PM club are not altogether typical of the pacemaker population. I also hope that people just about to start a paced bionic life find this encouraging.