New PM

I had my Pm inserted last wednesday.A medtronic duel lead. the operation went well and healing has been relitively pain free.I still don't feel like I have my energy back yet hope that will come but the dizzy and light headedness seems to have gone for this I am oh so grateful. This is not a complaint but I would like to hear from other PM people does the strange awareness of the bump at the collar bone go away and do you get used to it being there.
Thanks to all , this is one great site.


Welcome to the club!

by admin - 2007-05-03 09:05:57

I have a Medtronic device as well. It may take a week or two to get your energy back. The procedure can take a lot out of you. If your energy does not come back by then, ask your doctor about your device's settings. They may need to adjust them to get you tuned-up.

You will get use to the bump with time.



by randrews - 2007-05-03 10:05:44

I got my Medtronic dual lead pm 6 weeks ago. I was really distraught over what I considered my slow recovery. I now know it just takes a while. I spent a while without energy and still don't feel like it's all there. I did have 2 weeks off work. I also feel lightheaded at times but now I believe it will get better. We all heal differently.
The bump is weird I know. Sometimes I can see it under my clothes. And today for the first time it was really itchy. But honestly it doesn't bother my much to have it, even though I'm touching it alot. Oh well, small potatoes.
I hope it all goes well for you and let us know how things progress.


by boatman50 - 2007-05-03 10:05:56

I have had mine medtronic for 11 months now. As you can see by other posts it may take some time to get settings or meds sorted out, in fact I just had a major change to mine the other day. As Rusty said, we all heal differently so be patient, ask plenty of questions but be patient. For about 6 months my pm site would itch, but that gradually diminished. Now I hardly notice or think about it at all. It is visible without a shirt, and I think I have more scar tissue because of the 2 operations back to back but all in all its not bad. Good luck to you and heal well, Boatman


by jessie - 2007-05-04 05:05:29

i was experiencing braddychardia for 4 months and did not know it. by the time i did get my pacemaker which was an emergency situation, i was totally exhausted. i also had congestive heart failure. i was told by my cardiologist that i was very sick and it would take awhile to not feel so tired.this was true. i had my colour back but for 4 months i could sleep at the drop of a hat. it has been eight months for me and i feel good now for the most part energetic. i don't need my afternoon nap now lol lol although sometimes i do because i like to sleep. lol so take care and god bless jessie


by sboissonnas - 2007-05-04 10:05:12

Congrats, TOGUY! How was the procedure for you? I know you were anxious about it.. Sounds like you came through with flying colors, though. So glad to hear that your symptoms are going away!

I never really forget about having the bump, though. Part of me is kind of proud of it, at least! (And the other part of me wonders why I have to be different, and did it really happen, and silly things like that.) If you can, be proud of yours - you earned it and it's a badge of honor!

Congrats again on making it through the surgery, and thanks for letting us know!


hi toguy

by rosep - 2007-05-04 11:05:42

Hi. I've had my pm eight weeks now and phased myself back to work 10days after implant. Since then my energy has increased gradually and now I am back in a normal routine I realise just how crap I had been feeling for the few months before I found out I have heart block!
I now feel 100% better than I did before implant, have more energy, feel clearer headed, and am coping better with work and stuff! My implant site still pulls at times,to remind me it's there, esp under my collar bone, and sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps back re. healing. Here in the UK we are having a cold spell at the moment and that seems to have affected things as well. As time passes I am becoming less conscious of my pm site and so less anxious about getting bumped etc. I'll just be glad when I can sleep on my side again- I think that may be awhile away yet! Hope my experiences so far have helped- good luck with your recovery, hope it goes as well as mine has! Rosep

New PM

by CathrynB - 2007-05-04 12:05:40

Hey TOGUY, welcome to PM Club! Glad to hear your surgery and first week of recovery has gone smoothly. I've only had my first PM 3 months, but one thing I've learned from reading here is almost everyone's experience is a little different from anyone else's. I predict yours will be as well. Some folks fly right through this stuff seemingly effortlessly, and for other people it's really awful. Mine has been relatively smooth. I took 10 calendar days off work, then worked half-time for another 10 calendar days. I found I was very sleepy in the afternoons and needed to take a 1-2 hour nap every day for 3 weeks. But my energy was pretty good when I was awake. I walked 2 miles on day 3 post op, 4 miles by the end of week 2. "The lump/bump" is one of those things that varies a lot for folks. For more than a month I always felt "pressure" on my PM site which I believe was tight skin being stretched over the lump. That went away slowly, and I think by 6 weeks or so was gone. I hope your recovery continues smoothly, and certainly enjoy the lack of fainting and dizzy spells -- that's the best part about getting a PM if it's working as we all hope! Take care, Cathryn

PM Bulge

by Surferman - 2007-05-08 12:05:04

You'll find that as the swelling diminishes in the arm and shoulder area around your collarbone, the bulge gets smaller. Mine is a St. Jude and it seems so small now I hardly know it there. I can sleep on my left side without any problems. Some of the club pacers cannot do it yet. I had my implant on the 9th of March so be patient. Surferman

You know you're wired when...

You forecast electrical storms better than the weather network.

Member Quotes

I'm 35 and got my pacemaker a little over a year ago. It definitely is not a burden to me. In fact, I have more energy (which my husband enjoys), can do more things with my kids and have weight because of having the energy.