Magnets in Slep Number Beds
Someone a couple weeks ago asked if magnets in a Sleep Number bed would affect a PM or ICD. I wrote NO. Went by our local Seep Number store in Atlanta to find out if I had been completely correct, since I made a couple assumptions for my answer.
Young woman sales rep looked at me & said "You have a PM, right?" I told her the whole sordid tale about my reasons for asking & she had a surprising knowledge about PM's & magnets Seems they just happened to have a male sales Rep in that store & he was pretty saavy about the subject. BO - here's the scoop!
1) there are FOUR magnet sets betweeen the mattress & the "Box Spring." In the case of a SN bed, it is either a steel frame or a wooden slab. The steel frane versions are adjustable & can raise up the head, foot or both.
2) The magnets have a large steel disk (about 2 inches in dianeter) om their "Back" side. This acts as a "Keeper plate, which keeps magnetic flux controlled on that side. She had a steel screwdriver handy & it barely stuck to the steel plate. My guess is is that you would have to practically press that side against your PM to have any effect.
3) The bottom magnet is screwed to the steel frame or wooden slab. The top magnet is sewn to a very stiff, non-stretchable canvas bottom of the mattress cover.
4) The four pairs of magnets are face to face when the bed is assembled. They tried to demonstrate how tightly they grip ome another and failed - they coud not pry them apart. That means there is almost zero magnetic flux escaping from that junction area. Therefore no affect in the pm from that source.
4) They are rare Earth supermagnets, so they really attract one another . I was correct about the mattress thickness - 14 inches. The mattress is full of pressurized air, so it is not going to collapse. If it springs a leak, there is a foam rubber border around the air cells and aa topper of foam about 1 inch thick that will keep the mattress from going tp zero thickness. The sets of magnets are about 6 inches from the ends of the mattress & about 4 inches from the sides. Very little chance that you ciuld lie w/ your PM anywhere near the location of a pair of magnets.
Sleep tight - you are safe.