advice because I am going to get a pacemaker

Hello All,

I am looking for advice because I was told that I will need a pacemaker "at some point" since I have bradycardia. I am 25 years post closure of congenital hole in my heart (ASD) at 69 years old now.  So, any advice of where to go to get pacemaker, what kind, what questions to ask, any books or articles to read would  be greatly appreciated. I live in Florida but can travel to get best medical care.

Thanks very much for any advice!

Linda Susan




by AgentX86 - 2019-07-11 23:25:16

Hi Linda, welcome to the group.  There are several books on the subject but the Internet and this group are probably better resources to, if not answer your questions, to at least know what questions to ask.

"Bradycardia" just means that you have a slow heartbeat.  By definition it means any resting heart rate below 60bpm, which is a very arbitrary number.  I wouldn't worry a lot about anything above 40, unless it affects your lifestyle. Less than 40 it can get dicy.  The big thing is whether or not your body is getting the oxygen it needs.  It doesn't sound like your doctor is too excited, right now, so you have time to find a specialist.  You'll probably want to find an electrophysiologist ( or 'EP').  An EP is a cardiologist who thas sub-specialized in the heart's electrical system.  Get the best EP that you can find.  It matters.  Do it soon because you're not too bad now but these things don't fix themselves and it will get worse.


by Tracey_E - 2019-07-12 09:53:21

Unless your ASD repair means the wires would have to be run differently, any board certified electrophysiologist can do a pacer so no need to travel. EP's are cardiologists that an advanced specialty in the electrical system of the heart so pacers and ablatoins are all they do. Dr. Platt in Palm Beach Gardens did my last two.

I switched from a regular cardiologist to an ep at an adult congenital clinic a couple of years ago. Since my condition is rare, I like going to a practice where I'm the norm, not the anomaly. If your ASD repair makes things complicated, might be worth checking out. There are large ones in Gainesville, Miami and Tampa and I think Jacksonville. 


by ROBO Pop - 2019-07-12 13:03:28


Just ask your Cardiologist for a referral to an EP (Electrophysiologist) for the pacemaker implant.

Then ask the EP why you need a pacemaker, how much affect it will have on how you feel, what device he is going to implant and how much you will be paced.

Then go to the manufacturers web site and read up. Some even have videos and are quite informative.

Finally. Any questions you have let us know and we'll be happy to help you on this new adventure.

You know you're wired when...

Your friends want to store MP3 files on your device.

Member Quotes

Pacemakers are very reliable devices.